1) The ULA to produce a leaflet about the water tax proposing positive alternatives to water meters and charges
2) ULA members should caucus before CAHWT Steering Committee meetings
3) Five policy groups have been established with chairs as follows:
Economy, Brian O’Boyle; Mortgages, Michael O’Brien/Melissa Halpin; Environment, Brendan Young; Health, Peadar O’Grady; Equality, Rita Harrold.
Two of these groups to report back to the next ULA national council in September
4) ULA Steering Committee to launch a campaign seeking Stand Orders from 200 individuals.
5) That the ULA will have a visible contingent at the Dublin Pride 2012 parade on Saturday 30th March and produces a statement/leaflet for the occasion.
6) The National Council calls upon the National Steering Committee to register the United Left Alliance as a politicial party and that this registration process should begin immediately. The Council recognises that the 2014 Local and European Elections will be an opportunity for the United Left Alliance to increase its profile and representation. Members of the United Left Alliance once endorsed by their local branch or branches and by the National Steering Committee would then be able to run in those elections, should they so desire, under the name of the United left Alliance.
7) The National Council recognises the important role young people have in building a radical left movement and supports the setting up of a Youth Section of the United Left Alliance. Every effort should be made to establish this Youth Section in every constituency and all Third Level Institutions with a view to holding a National Youth Conference before the end of 2012.
8) Regarding the establishment of ULA branches in third-level institutions
It is proposed that the Steering Committee mandates the establishment of a working-group on building the ULA amongst students and in third-level institutions.
Such a working group would ideally be comprised of the lead organisers/convenors for both Socialist Youth and the Socialist Worker Student Societies and nonaligned members from existing third-level branches.
The working-group should be mandated to prepare a discussion document to be presented at a forthcoming ULA Branch Council on June 16th.
Although the terms of reference of the working group should be broad, the following topics should be included in its deliberations and final document:
- Relationship/cooperation with SY/SWSS/Sus/USI/FEE etc.
- Solidarity with education sector workers’/education campaigns
- Role of ULA third-level/student branches within ULA nationally
- National platform/forum for third-level/student branches
- Third-level/student specific campaigns
- Funding and Material
- Plans for 2012/13
The working group should contain no less than 5 members and should be convened by September 21st at the latest.
9) The Council urges the SC to begin work on producing a ULA newsletter which would allow members and branches to inform each other of their activities; promote debate and give the alliance a physical presence at meetings/demos. Editorial board consisting of 4 people – 1 PBPA,1 SP, 1 WUAG and 1 non-aligned should be set up by end of June to examine format and design, how it would be funded, its distribution etc.
10) ULA should look outwards instead of inwards, get involved in campaign and recruit new members.
11) Having abandoned their “better fairer” approach to tackling austerity, the ICTU leadership with their failure to declare their outright opposition to the Fiscal Treaty recently, should be compelled to resign
12) The minutes of Steering Committee meetings to be circulated from now on.
13) Events to be added to weekly ULA newsletter should be emailed to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday